Going outside during the school day was a joy. The sun shone, and the children were excited to learn about the plants and animals in our biome - the temperate forest. I took no pictures, but made lots of memories -
- the sunlight in the canopy - looking up and seeing the undersides of leaves bright yellow-green
- children thinking, looking, finding vertebrates and invertebrates, asking questions to find out about the life around us
- boys and girls who rarely slow down for art very seriously sketching the forest
- hearing students just introduced to the terms yesterday use deciduous and coniferous
- the breeze refreshing us, and bringing floating leaves
- two hawks soaring as we walked back into the school building
We are making a terrarium of the layers of the temperate forest. Older children began by digging the bedrock level.