Friday, April 6, 2012

easter bread


marry an italian.  i highly recommend it, especially if he or she comes with a wonderful family who serve traditional italian food.  here's an easter ritual in my husband's family that brings tasty joy.  i even have the recipe. 

easter bread
3 pkgs yeast
1 cup warm water
2 cups sugar (see why i like it?)
2 sticks butter  (you don't have to butter it later)
2 cups milk
8 eggs plus two egg yolks 
2 tbsp vanilla
4 tsp anise seed
12 cups flower
1 tbs salt

dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside.  mix sugar, eggs, and milk, 1 tbsp. of vanilla, and anise.  add flour and salt.  melt butter.  stir in yeast mixture and butter.  knead thoroughly, adding more flour if needed. dough should be slightly sticky.  cover and let rise until double in size.  push down and let rise again.  divide dough into four round loaves, roll in flour and place in greased pie or cake pan.  raise again in pan.  pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.  bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and loaves sound hollow.  while hot, brush loaves with mixture of 2 egg yolks beaten with 1 tablespoon vanilla.  

so if you can't marry an italian, just make this bread, add a big salad with protein, and you've got a meal.  
joy to you!



4 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous. I love Italian food. I have bread on my list of things to make. Maybe I will tackle that this weekend! Teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I'd love to have a slice of this, like everyone else I LOVE italian food, the way they live & eat. Have been watching Two Greedy Italians on television and am so touched by their sense of passion for food driven by memories of what their mothers cooked for them as a child..highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful tradition! Guess what! My boy is home for the holidays!!! It's lovely to all be together again. Happy holidays xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh - I wish I would have seen this at Easter time. It looks delicious, and it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...