Thursday, April 19, 2012

healthy habits


dr. lester breslow, public health expert, died in los angeles last week.  he was 97.  
his best known work was a study of almost 7,000 people.  he examined their behavior over long periods of time.  dr. breslow used quantitative analysis to prove that a 45-year-old 
with at least 6 of 7 healthy habits had a life expectancy 11 years longer than someone with 3 or fewer.  

here are the healthy habits - 

1. get regular exercise and control your weight
2.  don't smoke or abuse drugs
3.  don't drink a lot of alcohol.  avoid alcohol completely if you have a history of alcoholism.
4.  eat a balanced and healthy diet.
5.  take care of your teeth.
6.  manage high blood pressure.
7.  follow good safety practices.

the link above has information about each habit.  

here is a link to his ny times obituary.  


how are you doing on these habits?  here we are always working on nutrition.  drinking chocolate shakes, but eating lots of veggies.  i also highly recommend chocolats latour.  after all, dark chocolate is a health food, right?    


joy and good health to you.


6 comments:

  1. Some of those things I'm great on. Some I need some work on. Some I need a lot of work on. And the dark chocolate I think I could always work on! Happy weekend to you, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can only tick of three of those for sure, plus one I sorta ok at. Gotta work on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always, always a struggle to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I like to eat things that aren't so healthy and even though I don't have a weight problem 5-10lbs sneaks up on me easily, then I have to regroup and get back on track. I'm going to save that list of his!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is a challenging list! let's just keep working on these, and try to help each other stay on track.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not doing so well with the healthy habits, but i'm trying to change! I started excercising with a physio therapist (I started earlier, but then I got sick and sick and sick, but this week I got back on track), I don't smoke,I eat healthy food AND unhealthy, I don't think I drink too much and I don't have hight blood pressure. But I think you are much more healthy than me, with your running and beeing active. But I WILL get healthier this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm following rules 1-7 pretty well, more or less. I better read the good doctor's rule in more depth to see how he defines "a lot" of alcohol. I do love red wine.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...