Tuesday, September 18, 2012

top 5 - Quiet


you've heard of introverts and extroverts?
this book reminds us there is value in thoughtful, less gregarious people.  
if you know someone who enjoys the quiet, and recovers best from a busy day by being alone, you might love this book.

so here's my top 5 - 
5.  the story in the introduction about a lawyer who disliked the spotlight, and her success in a tricky negotiation.  
4.  the tony robbins seminar visit.  
3.  stephen wozniak's story.
2.  the idea that character is still more important than charisma.
1.  in a world of teams and open work spaces, it's important to value private work time.  

as a teacher, i'm always working with this topic.  many children love to work together, yet they need independent time to think.  some children prefer to do their work alone, and our classroom needs to provide for them, too.

a thoughtful book, highly recommended. 
you can find more information here.
joy to you.

5 comments:

  1. I really liked this book. It's a validating read for introverts and a potentially eye-opening one for extroverts. (And that Tony Robbins chapter was fascinating/ crazy!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is interesting. I would prefer being alone most of the time. I wonder which is more common?
    I love book recommendations, so thank you! Teri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thoughts, Noreen. I value both, really. Much of my work is done alone, which is just how I like it, but I've learned that I need some people and structure built into my week to make me efficient and successful. And great question, Teri! Which is more common?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds so interesting! Ok, just added it to my books-to-buy list. I prefer and value lots of alone time. At the same time, I know that I also benefit from social interaction, and so I must push myself to do the latter.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...